Copyright (c) 2013 - Tagalog Tutorial. Powered by Blogger.

Tagalog: The First Language in the Philippines

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Tagalog is the first language of the Philippines and spoken by 98% of the Filipino people. It is the first language in the National Capital Region, the main cities in the country's capital as well as nearby provinces in Central Luzon (red in the map). Almost everyone in the Philippines understand Tagalog although a very small percentage cannot speak the language. 


The official name of Tagalog is really Filipino (language). Note that the people in the Philippines are also called Filipino. In the following discussion, Filipino will refer to language.

In reality, Tagalog and Filipino are not exactly the same. Tagalog is the formal Filipino pure Philippin e language, while Filipino is conversational Tagalog: a mixture of Tagalog and other foreign  languages mainly Spanish and English. This is not surprising because the Philippines has been a Spaniard colony for more than 300 years and has also been colonized by the US after the Spanish left 1898. 

Although my introduction is a bit academic, I have no plans of making this blog look like a book. I am going to make it friendly to readers. I am putting myself in the shoes of people who want to learn the language. I think I have a bit of advantage in this area because I have experience learning another language from scratch with no formal schooling. 

I have created this blog in order to help non-Tagalog speakers and foreigners who want to learn the language. I hope this blog will be helpful to everyone. Mabuhay!

No comments:

Post a Comment